Wednesday, August 8, 2007

a brief ode to Glenn Murphy

I'm very sorry to hear about his problems and his legal issues. What a sad story-- on so many levels...

I don't know much about Glenn's political posture and positions-- in particular, whether he demagogued (or even took a strong stand) on "social morality" issues (e.g., homosexuality-- vs. "social justice" issues like abortion). If he did so, then he would be guilty of an odd but galling form of hypocrisy. If not, there's a modest guilt by association, I suppose, since it's such a big deal to many within the political party he represented.

He was mostly a local politico, so a.) I didn't follow him that closely (since my policy interests are mostly national); and b.) he would have had less opportunity to speak on such issues (compared with a national figure).

Here's all I can tell you: when I bumped into him at county fairs and on the campaign trail, he was always kind and respectful to me-- not just "polite", but engaging. Using that as a barometer, he was a better person than most of the politicos with whom I have interacted.

For those of you with a Biblical worldview, I don't know which side of I Corinthians 6:9-11 he inhabits. In any case, as he disappears from public life, I hope and pray "the best" in all things for him.

2 Comments:

At August 8, 2007 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Martina said...

Hello Dr Schansberg. I haven't seen anything on Glenn's troubles. Do you have a link to any news articles?

 
At August 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Eric Schansberg said...

Hoosier Pundit has a modest but sufficient-- and even-keeled discussion of it.

Taking Down Words "broke the story", has more detail, and a considerable number of gleeful remarks in the comment section.

You can find both among the links on the right side of the front page of my blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home