Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays

I'm torn about the Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays "debate"...

I celebrate Christmas. Others don't. What should I say to them?

On one hand, I should be able to say "Merry Christmas" without other people drawing offense. On the other hand, I should be sensitive to those who are antagonistic toward Christianity. (And if people are neutral on the topic, it won't matter to them-- by definition.)

The funny thing is that Happy Holidays is offensive to atheists-- or should be-- since holiday is derived from "holy day". So I know what to say to a non-Christian theist. An honest agnostic will be neutral on these things. But what should one say to an atheist? What would they prefer?

1 Comments:

At December 25, 2007 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Don Sherfick said...

I guess there are (self-professed) athiests and then there are (self-professed) athiests. One I know well doesn't at all seem offended by "Happy Holidays", or even "Merry Christmas", being of a "when in Rome" outlook. As to the kind that gets upset because "holiday" means "holy day", I don't know. Maybe tell them you wish they were of the "when in Rome" variety.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home