Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Idol goes Christian or at least Theistic

The finale for tonight's Idol charity event was the Top 8 singing "Shout to the Lord" with a big-time gospel-flavored back-up choir...Wow!

The only edit: the second word. Not surprising-- and not necessarily undesirable given that all of them are singing (are they all Christians?)-- dropping "My Jesus" for "My shepherd".

I like that the song emphasizes "Lord" instead of "God". This is preferable because our culture has reduced the latter to the god of civil religion ("In God/god we trust") and the various gods in our dog's breakfast of what constitutes "spirituality".

Here are the lyrics...

My Jesus, My Savior,
Lord, there is none like You;
All of my days
I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love.

CHORUS:
Shout to the Lord, all the earth,
Let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King;
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name.
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands,
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand,
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

CHORUS

My comfort, my shelter,
Tower of refuge and strength;
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You.

CHORUS * 2

1 Comments:

At April 10, 2008 at 2:03 PM , Blogger C. Hedges said...

Hi Eric,

Thanks for pointing to this post. When my wife and I were watching Idol last night, it didn't even dawn on me that there would be any controversy. I thought it was pretty cool that Mariah Carey sang "Fly Like A Bird" with the choir, then the "Shout to the Lord" finale.

In reality, there might not really be any except for those in the chattering classes ... and that's always good for people in those classes and those who like to discuss them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home