Wednesday, July 2, 2008

gas prices and the working poor

I'm blessed to have a great job with a comfortable income.
And so, higher gas prices are only a minor annoyance to me.
I notice and am amazed at the amount of money it now requires to fill my tank.
But that said, I just fill my tank and go on with my day.
Bottom line: It doesn't change my behavior and it doesn't change my budget (appreciably).

Not so for the working poor...

In Salem yesterday, at our gas event, it became obvious that most customers went to the gas station with the intention of putting $10 or $25 in the tank-- not to just "fill 'er up".

For people at the margin, those extra dollars for gasoline are especially painful. This is the primary reason we must change our energy policy and address this unnecessarily painful issue.

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Beth A. May said...

I too, only put 4 to 5 gallons of gas into the tank at a time and stretch it to the max. I drive more slowly, use less air conditioning and make 4 trips in one shot. So far there have been no out-of-town family emergencies and I car pool for work. Still I feel I am barely scraping by.

Beth A. May

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home