Tuesday, November 10, 2009

our visit to Sojourn

I had heard about Sojourn over the years-- through my cousins and a few friends visiting and enjoying it-- and through coverage in the LEO.

Tonia and I took the boys there this weekend and enjoyed it. (I don't want to come across as a critic or a church-shopper/taster. But I don't know how else to describe what we experienced!)

I liked the music more than she did. It was impressive that they had arranged three Isaac Watts hymns and beyond that, sang arrangements of two classic hymns. In a funny way, it was far more traditional-- at least in terms of lyrics-- than a contemporary, seeker-sensitive church.

The sermon was relatively simple expository preaching-- from Ezekiel 1-3 in this case. A nice mix of conviction, application, exposition, etc. Very effective.

I really like the "responsive reading" portions and "the Lord's Supper" was different but quite appropriate. Child care was well-done; people were very friendly; it's a younger crowd but with some age diversity.

I think we'll be back!

3 Comments:

At November 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you were just down the street from our church!! Come visit us sometime :) Immanuel Baptist is on the corner of Oak and Clay. We run the nursery, so we promise to be good to your kids ;)

Kathy

 
At November 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM , Blogger Eric Schansberg said...

When we passed that up, I thought that was the one y'all attended!

 
At November 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Darrell said...

Hey Eric, we're pretty similar to Sojourn. Smaller, and I think they have a slightly different culture and a bit of a different feel, but theologically we're in essentially the same place.

BTW, I don't think I ever sent you the sermon I preached from I Peter. It is at...
http://www.ibclouisville.org/sermon/05-16-2009/how-persevere-face-suffering

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home