Thursday, November 22, 2007

so...what are you thankful for?

Like many things in life, Thanksgiving is both an event and a lifestyle. We set aside one day to celebrate our thankfulness, but thankfulness should be a moment-by-moment mindset as well.

Anniversaries, Valentines Day, Christmas, Easter. All of them are days. But the days are meaningless (or far less meaningful) if the days are not a daily occurrence.

In the spiritual realm, we see this duality with worship and prayer. They are events, but they are supposed to be lifestyles as well (Romans 12:1; I Thess 5:17). So, too, with thankfulness (I Thess 5:16-18).

Here's what I'm thankful-- today and every day (in recent memory)...

I am thankful for the grace of God, extended to bozos like me. (By the way, you're a bozo too!)

I am thankful for the the Jesus of Matthew 23, who tore into the Pharisees for their self-righteousness and narrow conceptions of sin.

I am thankful for the Jesus who got angry at injustice-- when the rights of others were being violated.

I am thankful for Holy Spirit who empowers me to live what Watchman Nee labeled "The Normal Christian Life".

I am thankful for my wonderful wife and my four young boys.

I am thankful to have a job that I enjoy.

I am thankful to worship in a church that preaches God's word and is concerned about both evangelism and discipleship.

I am thankful to have an extended family and in-laws that I enjoy.

I am thankful for Thanksgiving which gives us a reminder/occasion to express our thankfulness.

I am thankful that I have so much for which to be thankful-- every day.


May God bless you on this day and always-- as you bless Him and others...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home