Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ian Thomas died...

I just read that Major Ian Thomas died on August 1 at the age of 92. He was active in evangelism and discipleship-- and from what I know, led a fruitful life within God's kingdom. He was also an author and two of his books made an impression on me.

If I Perish, I Perish is a wonderful supplement to study the book of Esther. Thomas uses the characters in Esther to fill out an allegory about the Spirit-filled life.

The same theme is developed more directly in The Saving Life of Christ. This book had a tremendous impact on me-- as Thomas mined the Old Testament for references, types, and analogies to the Spirit-filled life. The results for me were more faith in the Bible as God's inspired word and vital clues on living by the Spirit and in Freedom. (Too often, Christians settle for external conformity "in the flesh" and from a legalistic mindset.) It's more often the case that Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life (an essential supplement for a study of Romans 1-8) communicates those truths. But for me, Thomas came first.

Well done, good and faithful servant!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home