Wednesday, December 19, 2007

bloggle: blogging on Boggle

Highlights from last night's Boggle match with Tonia...

She's only beaten me once out of all the times we've played. (There was a second time when I was able to edge her out because we found some lower-case uses of sherpa-- but that's another story.) Of course, she'd like to beat me, but since I have a prodigious vocabulary, her more modest (and reasonable) goal is to stay within half of my score. Anyway, she's a good sport about it and we have a good time.

We have some good inside jokes about it too-- like the time she guessed that "kea" was a word. When I looked it up in Webster's, I was stunned to read that it is "a large, green mountain parrot of New Zealand, which kills sheep by tearing at the back of their necks to eat the fat there". Ouch!

Last night, she almost got me in game one. I had "raja" and "raca" which happened to be in Websters-- and that was enough to overcome her eight short words and an all-time best word, "adjacent" (a five-pointer the way we play). Final score: 14-13.

In game two, the cubes in our 5*5 lined up so nicely that we had a word-fest with a all-time record final score of 162-61. The funniest part: I was wracking up points on letters beginning with K, including krone, krona, the aforementioned kea, and ken. On ken, she asked "how is that a word?". Given its definition, we got a big belly-laugh out of that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home