Saturday, January 19, 2008

are you an alcoholic?

Until I dated a girl who had a nightly glass of wine (or two), I hadn't really thought about this question at any length. In my mind, alcoholism was closely correlated with common/routine bouts of drunkenness. With my friend, it became apparent that addiction could manifest itself more benignly-- as dependence that did not necessarily impede performance, at least dramatically.

This article, from Melinda Beck in the WSJ, explores the same questions...

More than 30% of Americans engage in risky drinking at some point in their lives, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. But there's no consensus on exactly what an "alcoholic" is. Even Alcoholics Anonymous relies on alcoholics to diagnose themselves.

Researchers have made up dozens of screening tests over the years. According to one developed for Johns Hopkins University Hospital years ago that still pops up on the Web, I'm "definitely an alcoholic" because I answered yes to at least three of 20 questions: I "crave a drink at a definite time of day" (evenings, mostly) and drink alone (sometimes) and drink to "escape from worries or troubles" (doesn't everyone who drinks?).

But Alcoholscreening.org says I'm "below the range usually associated with harmful drinking or alcoholism" since I have only a glass or two of wine when I drink.

The authoritative American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM-IV, separates alcohol abuse from alcohol dependence, based partly on the problems the drinking causes. You qualify for a diagnosis of "abuse" if you've done any one of these in the past year: drunk alcohol in hazardous situations, like driving; kept drinking despite social or interpersonal problems; had legal problems related to alcohol or failed to fulfill major obligations at work, school or home because of drinking.

You've moved on to "dependence" if you've done any three of these seven: drunk more or longer than you intended; been unable to cut down or stop; needed more alcohol to get the same effect; had withdrawal symptoms without it; spent more time drinking or recovering; neglected other activities or continued to drink despite psychological or physical problems.

Experts long believed that abuse progressed to dependence, which almost inevitably became chronic and relapsing -- but that was based on observing severely addicted people in treatment programs. Several large new surveys have shown that drinking patterns in the general population are much more varied, with milder forms of dependence. Some 43% of daily heavy drinkers don't fit into either DSM-IV category, according to one big national sample, even though they are setting themselves up for serious health and addiction problems....

3 Comments:

At January 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Bryce Raley said...

I quit drinking myself after coming to Southeast, putting my faith in Christ, and getting baptized in Jan 2002. I was a heavy- heavy drinker, but didn't fit the typical definitions of an Alcoholic. I do tell people I had a problem, because I believed it to be one. My stepfather is a 20 year recovered Alcoholic and he and I discuss the subject often. He still attends 2-3 meetings per week and sponsors dozens of guys each year. He speaks all over the state.

I believe the article arrives at a conclusion I've talked about for years. I tell my secular friends, that the bible doesn't mandate a believer abstain from alcohol. It does give us guidelines. I choose to abstain because of past experience and my witness/ influence through Southeast.
I then tell them that I don't know many people, realy anyone I've come across who manages drinking very well. I think we have a society full of heavy drinkers who are on the brink of dependence.

 
At January 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Aspergers.life said...

When I was a kid my dad frequently took me to the rescue mission in downtown Indianapolis. Never once did he lecture me on the perils of alcohol. He never even mentioned it.

Seeing so many men whose lives were totally devastated by alcohol, my young mind considered that each of them had a first drink. Had it not been for that first drink, none would be alcoholics. I purposed never to taste alcohol and in my 50+ years I've kept that commitment.

 
At January 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Eric Schansberg said...

Bryce,

You said: "I don't know many people, really anyone I've come across who manages drinking very well."

Part of this is that those who would and could treat it well have moved to abstention for a range of good and not-so-good reasons.

As parents, it's important to think about the various signals we send by abstaining vs. drinking moderately and infrequently vs. drinking regularly vs. drinking immoderately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home