Saturday, January 12, 2008

milkers

In political science, "milker" bills/actions are occasions when an interest group uses actions by another to "milk" its members for contributions.

The Rural Democrat just blogged on an example of this. And I just received a call from the ACLJ a few minutes ago, asking for money to fight Michael Newdow's latest attempt to get "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance.

To most people, the reference is to the god of civil religion, so its elimination would not trouble me much if at all. I tried to ask the caller some pertinent questions, but she didn't bite. To be cynical, one might ask whether Newdow is under the employ of the ACLJ! In any case, the ACLJ was probably happy to have the op to use him for fund-raising.

1 Comments:

At January 15, 2008 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Bryce Raley said...

A slippery slope to me. We should be careful or we'll be secretly meeting in homes because our right to be Christians is no longer a right.
(That would sound ridiculous, but so did the statement I made in 1994- I told my family and friends that the day would come when transexuals have their own restrooms and we defend someone's right to marry their dog) The first is here at Disney World, the second could be just around the corner)

Our country is only 200 years old. Pretty young in the scheme of things. The democratic flicker of light can be put out one day if we're too complacent.

I do agree that some organizations are a little too strong with their fundraising or activism.

I believe our unalienable rights in the constitution are bestowed by God. If not then what moral code or rule of law is there really? Secular humanism is a strong movement among younger generations. I don't take it lightly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home