Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hawpe humorous or humorless?

I don't know him well enough to know, so I'll leave that inference to others...

In any case, there are some interesting things in his op-ed this morning-- an easy piece on someone who is getting a few smiles from signing up C-J editorialists for various causes, by sending in contributions as their (unwelcome) proxy.

I've had people do this to me in the past. (And there's a funny passage in Sparky Lyle's baseball book, The Bronx Zoo, about this.) And I've had some fun in sending checks to various causes for $.02-- my two cents worth! ;-)

It's more blessed to give, but only if you really do

Let's start with the title. It's interesting-- and perhaps ironic-- that those who prefer government intervention on charity often base that argument on what economists call a "public good". People may free ride off the contribution of others-- because they want the poor to be helped, but they would rather have other people do it (so they can keep their own money). Here, Hawpe argues against that point!

Journalists seldom give to political campaigns, Democratic or Republican. I never do.

Imagine my surprise, when I got a love note from North Carolina Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole, expressing "heartfelt thanks" for my donation to her re-election effort. "Your faith and confidence in me are precious gifts that I'll cherish always," she chirped....

She reminded me liberals haven't had it so good since Jimmy Carter, and "because of their liberal tax-and-spend policies and naïve foreign policy of appeasement, things went from bad to worse for our nation's economy and security."

I see. George W. Bush and the free-market, anti-regulation, Big Business GOP had nothing to do with it....

The invocation by Dole is ridiculous-- almost as ridiculous as Hawpe's characterization of Bush as free-market or even, anti-regulation. Really, with Bush, statists haven't had it so good since LBJ or maybe FDR.

Then, Hawpe admits being a statist.

Since I generally favor more taxes (especially when paid by those who can afford to do more for their fellow citizens) and more government (especially when it helps those in need and protects all of us with needed intervention and regulation), I was surprised to hear about my generosity...

Looking at the research by Arthur Brooks, we would be surprised to read of Hawpe's generosity as well. Brooks found that liberals give far less time, money-- as well as blood, sweat and tears-- to all sorts of charitable organizations.

Then, he seems to get a little serious on us-- before a clever ending.

And you know, this kind of stuff is seriously illegal.

As for me, I finally received an Oct. 2 letter thanking me for my recent gift to Northup for Congress.

"We apologize for the inconvenience," the letter said, "but the strict regulations of the Federal Election Commission require the campaign to request for the record your employer and occupation information."

And all this time, I thought Anne Northup knew where I worked and what I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home