Saturday, January 31, 2009

plumber's advice for power outage in a freeze

The best thing on today's C-J editorial page: a letter from a Jeffersonville plumber, Daniel Brown...

If you leave your house with your water turned off, when your electricity comes back on, your icemaker's solenoid valve will burn out if you have not turned off your ice maker. If you have not drained the water out of the pipes by opening all faucets, the pipes may still freeze and burst.

Flush all toilets. Then pour RV anti-freeze in the bowl and a little down every drain to prevent drain traps from freezing and breaking. Sponge the water out of the tank of your toilet. If your water heater is electric, you may want to drain it. If your water heater is gas, you may want to turn the thermostat all the way down. To get the heat from the center of the house to pipes near outside walls, open all kitchen sink and vanity cabinet doors and remove what is under there. Open all shower doors and curtains.

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM , Blogger William Lang said...

I was fortunate this time; I never lost my power. But I was wondering what to do if I did lose my power, so I'm glad to see this article.

I was considering how to prepare for the next time this kind of storm might happen. The problem is I do not have a fireplace. I could install a gas fireplace (I do have natural gas in my house, for the furnace). But my brother told me that a kerosene space heater would heat my house adequately and would cost about $120. I would be able to remain in my house and my pipes would be safe.

 
At December 20, 2019 at 5:32 AM , Blogger brittanymlemay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home