Tuesday, May 26, 2009

baptism at what age?

My brother (a Southern Baptist minister) baptized his daughter on Sunday!

It’s funny that I had not thought of my niece as "not baptized". We don't see them often since they live about 10 hours away by car. But the last few times I’ve seen her, she has seemed like a Christian.

As an aside, it’s interesting that, in my Christian Church circles, we tend to promote baptism at age 8 (assuming they profess the appropriate beliefs). I’ve always been a bit uncomfortable with that. I heard Dr. Mohler (President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) talk one time on his radio program-- and he discouraged baptism until age 10, or more likely 11-12.

Perhaps the earlier age in my circles is a function of the historic importance (and even over-emphasis) of baptism for the Christian Church and Churches of Christ?

1 Comments:

At May 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM , Blogger PianoMom said...

I find difficulty going too far on either end of the "spectrum"

If your 7 year old begins asking questions about the meaning of baptism, and when provided the explanation, professes a desire to commit his/her life to Christ out of pure heart (assuming the child grasps concept of "sin" and the plan of salvation), is it right to tell them they can't do it until they are 10, or even 8? This communicates the sense that bapstism is a sort of legalism, which you definitely don't want.

On the other hand, you hear adult Christians sometimes say that they were so young when they were baptized they don't really remember it much and don't feel as though it was their own decision. This, too, is undesirable.

I know of someone who remembers giving their life to Jesus at a "revival" their Dad was preaching - at age 3/12!! - and has never wavered from that commitment.

Some other friends I know allowed their 6 year old son to receive Communion after he expressed his desire to follow Jesus and also his understanding of sin and the salvation Jesus died to give us. They didn't want to minimize his desire to be obedient to Christ but wanted him to wait until he was a little older (8) so that he would remember making his own decision.

Anyway, I have no definite answers, just thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home