Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mr. Horning Goes to Texas

I already blogged on the extensive news coverage of Andy moving with his family to Texas.

On the one hand, it seems odd; why does his move constitute "news"? On the other hand, it's what one would expect if a key major-party figure moved states. (How often does that happen, aside from special cases like Hillary Clinton?)

In recent days, Mike Kole provides a tribute to Andy-- and Doug Masson provides a brief follow-up.

I've known Andy for quite a few years. We met a few times earlier in the decade-- at various Libertarian and Indiana Policy Review events. But I didn't get him to know him that well until the 2008 campaign-- and then when Andy stayed with us while looking for a house as he started his job in Louisville. (Providentially, he was unable to find a house quickly, making the move to Houston much easier!)

During the campaign, we got to work together a few times and compare notes other times. It was nice to tag-team with him in person; it's always good to have two people saying those sorts of things! And I'll always remember his explicit but tactful Christian witness in response to personal questions during the 3rd gubernatorial debate (in Bloomington)-- compared to the hedging of Daniels and the bizarro evasion of Long-Thompson.

Andy was a sheer pleasure to have in the house: a low-maintenance boarder, a pleasure to talk with, and great with our kids. (I can recommend him as a roommate or tenant if there's ever a need for that again!)

In terms of politics, I so appreciate his emphasis on the Constitution and the Rule of Law. I had always talked about those to some extent. But from my work on the intersection of Christianity and public policy, my top two emphases had been whether public policy is ethical/biblical AND practical.

Now, when asked about many government policies, I say: It's not constitutional, ethical, or practical. Other than that, it's a great idea!

More than what he says, I appreciate the way he says it. Most revealing to me-- aside from his tact, persistence, and winsome nature-- is when he says 1.) I don't like that, but it's Constitutional; and 2.) Most voters probably don't want what I'm selling (but I'm going to keep on selling and trying to persuade them).

Along the lines of the latter, he applauded Gov. Daniels as a good technician (I think that's the word he used)-- someone who competently manages the many (unconstitutional) arms of the State. Again, he said, if that's what you want, then Gov. Daniels was the best candidate for the job. But if you want something Constitutional, than Andy was-- and is-- your man.

Grace and peace to Andy and his family as they make the move to Texas.

Indiana's loss is Texas' gain-- personally and politically. The only good news on the latter: the odds of successful Texas secession just inched up a notch.

I hope to see him again, but if not, it's good to know that we're also citizens of another Kingdom-- and I'll at least see him in the by-and-by.

1 Comments:

At June 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Bryce Raley said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

Maybe we'll all end up in Texas after a secession.

I'm for the constitution.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home