Thursday, June 4, 2009

building a house upon a rock takes more effort...

Duh! I've been thinking like a non-economist about this passage for a long time-- and I have no idea why! The epiphany came on Sunday morning...

From Matthew 7:24-27...

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

The problem? I've focused on the benefits (a sturdy building), but never considered the costs of this passage (it's more difficult to build on rock than sand). I don't know why. Perhaps it's because the classic "cost passage" is Luke 14:26-33.

2 Comments:

At June 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM , Blogger PianoMom said...

Good point, Eric!
I had never considered it that way - makes me think of the old "Three Little Pigs" storybook I read to the kids.
Next time, I'll tie in these Scriptures!

 
At June 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Bryce Raley said...

Never considered it either. Good point.

Wonder how many scriptures we could find like that if we kept on pouring over and ingesting them daily?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home