Friday, July 16, 2010

O'Rourke on soccer (and the World Cup)

Some amusing stuff from the often-hilarious P.J. O'Rourke in the WSJ...

Dear International Soccer Officials, Participants and Fans,

Congratulations on a terrific World Dish or World Platter or whatever you've been having. It's very interesting, compared to curling....

I have one suggestion: Use your hands...In case you hadn't noticed, the goalies on your teams use their hands all the time. Hardly anybody ever scores a goal in soccer so obviously this works. And Uruguay's Luis Suarez, who plays the position of "thwacker" or "slacker" or something, used his hands to defeat Ghana and was carried off the field in triumph....

Your fingers don't seem to be otherwise engaged while you're playing. I could understand the hands-off business if you were carrying an egg in a spoon down the field or if, like me when I play soccer with my kids in the backyard, you were holding a beer and a cigar....

"Nil-nil" is not a sports score...Personally, I think it has to do with World War I. Nobody could decide who had really won and everybody had to have another whole World War to figure it out. What with millions of dead and all, winning got a bad name. The Europeans, especially, just gave up on winning. I'll bet that before World War I there were soccer matches with scores of 105 to 97 or, anyway, 8 to 3. Get over it. It's just soccer. No fire bombing of Dresden is involved. Go ahead and kick (or throw) that ball into the net and win big....

Like it or not, I've come to appreciate soccer. Any kid can play, which fits with the inclusive agenda of progressive schools. Although the corollary to any kid can play is that every kid must play because there is an iron grip to the warm hug of progressive inclusionism. Hence the vodka in my Vitaminwater. But it's good that there's a sport where kids don't need to be freakishly tall or massively strong or gifted with triathlon masochism. It's particularly good for me because I want my kids to play sports. That is, I want them out of the house so I can have the computer back. But my children possess body types best suited to contract bridge and even after 10,000 hours of computer games their hand-eye coordination is barely up to operating a light switch....I enjoy watching them run around like maniacs. It raises hope for a compliant bedtime....

There are many other ways that you could make soccer more attractive and engaging. For example, play it on an extremely steep slope. This did wonders for the luge....The vuvuzela is a brilliant stroke. One of my soccer-playing children is a 12-year-old girl. The sound of vuvuzelas is a huge improvement over the squeals of 12-year-old girls, let alone the Lady Gaga tunes leaking out of their ear buds....

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2010 at 11:56 PM , Blogger Dave said...

First time I ever watched a soccer match a player appeared to be injured severely.....but, then did what my children do...got up and started playing again 30 seconds later. In light of that, here's a funny video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0GNwuNMDc

 
At July 17, 2010 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Eric Schansberg said...

very funny...I'm getting ready to send that to a soccer-playing relative!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home