Tuesday, July 19, 2022

on jazz and Christianity

I had a small jazz phase, and even played around a bit on my violin, but can't say that I ever "got into jazz".

This book project is interesting by its nature: wrestling with a claim that X is a conduit of the Gospel rather than merely consistent with the Gospel. (I've done something similar with Libertarian political positions vs. its political philosophy.)

And it's interesting because it's....well, jazz. I seem to remember a movie line about "it's the notes that are missing". (What is that reference?!) This is also true for life and Christianity: it's often the things that aren't there-- whether righteous acts, sins, or blessings of omission.

But I'm also reminded of the line in Amadeus about "too many notes". Again, there is often the misperception of "too much" in Christianity: too many things to do or not do to supposedly be righteous-- and too much to add to the saving work of Jesus and the grace of God to supposedly be saved.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home