Saturday, November 8, 2008

why do gas prices bother us more than other (more important) prices?

An interesting NYT essay from Dan Ariely-- an economist in the field of "behavioral economics" (hat tip: Linda Christiansen)...

This one has been in my files for awhile (as you can tell from its gas price references, but his observations still hold)...

As I stand at the gas station filling my tank, the meter tallies how much it's going to cost me. At this station, a gallon is $4.26, and as the meter passes the $20 mark, then the $30, I realize that I am paying too much attention to the price of gasoline. I bet you are too.

Looking back at my family's expenses over the past few years, I see big increases in our health care costs and in how much we pay for food. The rise in what we spend on gas is not nearly as extreme as our increases in categories like electricity and telephone. So why does the amount we spend on gasoline feel so enormous? I think it is because of the way we buy gas.

For the several minutes that I stand at the pump, all I do is stare at the growing total on the meter — there is nothing else to do. And I have time to remember how much it cost a year ago, two years ago and even six years ago.

Yet I have no such memory about the prices of items in any other category....

Another odd thing about the way we buy gasoline is that we usually buy multiple units....

While we concentrate our anger on gas prices, we are ignoring increases in electricity, food and health insurance — expenses that might actually have a greater effect on our budgets....

Perhaps it would be better if gas station attendants filled the tank for us, as they used to, so we did not stand at the pump watching the rising price of our gasoline. Maybe it would help if gas pumps came with bigger hoses so that filling up would go faster and we'd spend less time watching the meter. Or maybe we should just learn to examine all our purchases and expenses more holistically so that we see where rising costs make the biggest difference.

2 Comments:

At November 9, 2008 at 8:55 AM , Blogger William Lang said...

I think rising gas prices bothered many people because the rise was so rapid, making people worried that soon, there would be shortages of gas. That is, people thought we might soon experience what happened in the 1970s: long lines, rationing—and severe recessions.

Now gas prices have dropped below $2/gal in the Louisville area. But some are saying this is ominous: the price of oil collapsed because institutional investers sold their oil holdings to quickly raise cash to meet margin calls. (I have no idea if this is true.)

 
At November 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Eric Schansberg said...

I didn't hear anyone talk about shortages, but I guess that's possible.

Such fears would be one more example of ignorance about economics and politics. It's E100/200-level material to learn that the govt's price controls led to the shortages, non-price rationing, etc.

At least in large part, the recent precipitous drop in the price of oil is due to a much stronger dollar (a bit perverse/ironic, but the dollar is seen as relatively strong during this worldwide financial crisis) and a sharp drop in demand creating a bit of a glut (given the recession). After those get back to "normal" levels, we'll probably see gas around $3 again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home