Thursday, January 21, 2010

ultrasound/science, abortion, and "tolerance" at one Episcopalian church

From two of Joseph Bottum's blurbs in First Things...

It’s hard to keep up the illusion of abortion as a positive good when the ugly reality of it is always lurking just behind the abstract idea. The wall of illusion came crashing down for Abby Johnson when, after working for Planned Parenthood in Texas for eight years, she witnessed an actual abortion on ultrasound...

“when I looked at the screen, I saw a baby...I saw a full side profile...I saw the probe going into the woman’s uterus. And at that moment, I saw the baby moving and trying to get away from the probe...And I thought, “It’s fighting for its life...It’s life, I mean, it’s alive.”

And that was it. Any illusion Johnson had about what abortion really is was over. She quit her job and began working with the pro-life organization that protested at her former clinic...

Then this...

And the strange moral disconnect goes on: Having resigned from her post at Planned Parenthood and declared herself pro-life after viewing an abortion on ultrasound, Abby Johnson now faces rejection at the Episcopal Church where she and her husband worship....“One of the things I’ve been told is that as Episcopalians, we embrace our differences and disagreements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home