Saturday, April 17, 2010

my mini-Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I enjoyed my trip to Vegas early in the week-- for the annual meetings of the Association of Private Enterprise Education.

I don't travel as much these days-- trying to avoid leaving the family-- but this was a good op. I was asked to speak on two panels: one on practitioner and non-academic writing for academics; and the other on the future of health care (along with John Goodman-- "the father of HSA's"!).

But getting down there was not so pleasant: The Delta flight was an hour late. They asked me to check my bag (plane-side) and then didn't get it on the flight. It took about an hour to figure that out-- and
I didn't get my bag for another 24 hours. By the time I got to the front desk of the hotel, it was around midnight (3 AM eastern time) and there were no more non-smoking rooms, bringing to mind the famous Seinfeld bit on the ease of taking reservations but the difficulty in holding reservations.

Not the end of the world or anything, but not a barrel of laughs, especially in the moment!

1 Comments:

At April 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM , Blogger William Lang said...

Count your blessings—at least your flight wasn't delayed or cancelled by volcanic ash! I actually had that happen to me once: I was flying from Atlanta to Portland, Oregon, and I noticed that we began to descend at least an hour early. Then they announced that they were landing in Salt Lake City because the airport in Portland was closed due to ash from the Alaskan volcano Mount Redoubt. Fortunately, after a night in Salt Lake City, I was able to make it to Portland the next morning. This was in 1989.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home