Monday, January 14, 2008

1972 Dolphins vs. 2007 Patriots

The New England Patriots are poised to eclipse the mark for most victories in a season without a loss. The 72 Fins were 14-0 in the regular season before winning three games en route to their Super Bowl victory. The Pats were 16-0 in the regular season, won their 17th game on Saturday, and are favored to win #18 this weekend against San Diego.

The Dolphins were clearly a great team, featuring a running game with two 1,000-yard rushers for the first time in NFL history. (Their third best rusher had 500+ yards-- more than three teams!) But they also had one of the easiest regular season schedules of all time that year. Their opponents had a winning percentage of .372; more than 99% of all NFL schedules have been more difficult. They only faced two teams with a winning record-- both on the road: Kansas City and the New York Giants were both 8-6.

With the Colts out of the playoffs, I don't have any rooting interests (except Favre for old-times sake). But perhaps I have other fish-- err...Dolphins-- to fry. It'd be nice to see this new and greater excellence rewarded with its moment in the historical sun.

3 Comments:

At January 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Bryce Raley said...

I don't know much about that infamous dolphins season.

I believe the Pats are the best ever. It hurts me to say it- I'm a Niners fan from age 5. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Roger Craig had some unbelievable teams.
There opponents were a little below 500 on the year. It helped them to play Miami, NY Jets and the Bills for 6 of their games. Soft games against Cincy, Baltimore, and Philly, were also on the schedule. To their defense they did beat San Diego, Indy, Pittsburg, Giants, Dallas, Washington, and Cleveland. The only team not mentioned is the Packers. Maybe it's an sign.


I don't know what to make of Bill Bel sp?. I like the fact that he doesn't play games with the media- he's all business. I like the fact that his players seem less concerned with personal achievement and more with team first. I't doesn't bother me that they beat there opponents badly. I've actually made more people mad in competive softball, baseball, voleyball and golf tournaments by laying down than by winning big.

I was pulling for the Colts though because of my affection for Dungy. I always seem to pull for the underdog eventually. I enjoyed seeing the Pats win their first few years. I love to see excellence in any endeavor. I just get tired of hearing too much about anything.

 
At January 16, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Maestroh said...

There is really no comparison of the two teams. Miami played TWO decent teams as you noted - and neither made the playoffs. They barely beat an up and coming Pittsburgh team on the road for the AFC title, and they were dominant but only won Super Bowl VII by a 14-7 score - a game I might note in which they were a 2-point underdog.

New England, otoh, has beaten SEVEN playoff teams including those considered the other 'best' teams - Indy, San Diego, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh as well as Dallas and the NY Giants. If they beat Green Bay to win the Super Bowl, they will have beaten EIGHT of the 11 playoff teams besides themselves.

Not only that despite all the carping from Mercury Morris, common sense tells you that 19-0 is more impressive than 17-0.

Let's not forget that Miami's schedule was so soft they won ten of those games with a back-up QB. If Brady were hurt, do you really think the Pats would even be in the playoffs?

 
At June 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home